The official student news site of Westview High School

The Nexus

The Nexus

The Nexus

Torrey Highlands PizzaRev announces permanent closing
Athena Schmelzer, Staff Writer • March 15, 2024

The PizzaRev in the Torrey Highlands plaza announced that they were permanently closing, Feb. 24. PizzaRev has stayed media quiet during this...

Review: Creme and Sugar

Best known for their unicorn-themed foods and extravagant milkshakes, Anaheim-based cafe Creme and Sugar opened its Del Mar location, March 17.

Friendly staff members and menus provided for those in line to decide their order and look over the choices outside the cafe made the experience much more enjoyable.

Midway through my wait, free off-menu “Del Mar Bars,” were passed through the queue for us to try.

The bars would be unique to their Del Mar location and consist of Thrifty’s vanilla ice cream covered in a hot pink bubblegum shell and rainbow sprinkles.  As someone who isn’t usually the biggest fan of bubblegum-flavored anything, I was surprised at how authentic the flavor was. The vanilla ice cream was perfectly creamy and worked well with the bubblegum, which didn’t taste overly sweet or artificial.

Inside the cafe, the decor reminded me of Alice in Wonderland, with colorful paintings and framed quotes written on book pages all over the walls. The tables and random assortment of chairs are mostly wooden and give off an old, worn feeling.

The menu itself is very extensive and consists of drinks like ice cream floats, hot chocolates, and milkshakes while also offering a large variety of cakes and baked goods. Drinks range from $6-10 and slices of cake average at around $6-7.

Although the prices are higher than most cafes, be prepared to come here hungry or with a group of friends since the serving sizes are large.

After taking recommendations from staff as to what their most popular menu items are, I ordered a slice of Lavender and Honey ice cream cake and a Unicorn milkshake.

The wait times were reasonable, with the milkshake taking a bit longer as it was a busy day. While waiting for the milkshake there was plenty of seating inside and outside the store.

The Lavender and Honey ice cream cake itself is simple, consisting of regular vanilla cake with honey drizzle and lavender ice cream layered in between and covered in lavender frosting. It’s definitely one of the best cakes I’ve ever tried. The amount of sweetness from the honey perfectly matched the floral lavender flavor. The cake was light and wasn’t too strong in flavor, making it the perfect treat on a hot day or for anyone who doesn’t typically enjoy sweeter cakes.

Covered in whipped cream and candy, the Unicorn milkshake is served in a mason jar that shows off its bright purple color. As expected, the milkshake tastes sugary and like something out of Willy Wonka’s factory. However, like the Del Mar bars, it surprisingly doesn’t taste artificial. The taste is more like a creamy, candy-infused milkshake that isn’t disgustingly sweet. Even though I don’t have the biggest sweet tooth, I still enjoyed the milkshake and was able to drink a substantial amount before hitting the limit on my sugar intake.

Although I came to Creme and Sugar for its “Instagram” aesthetic, I would return for its delicious drinks and cakes that cater to people with or without sweet tooths alike.