Wolverines recognized for impact made on campus

YJ Si, Editor-in-Chief

The morning of May 28, Ethan Baskerville-Bridges (12) was asked to help the rest of his family get groceries. Happy to help out,  he walked to his front door, tied his shoelaces, put on a mask, and reached for the doorknob. He glanced behind him and was puzzled as to why the rest of his family was following him with their phones out. 

As he stepped out the door, he was greeted by Wally the Wolverine and select members of ASB along with ASB adviser Shannon Parker. In the Wolverine’s paws was a golden plaque. In small black letters read: “Wolverine of the Year Presented To Ethan Baskerville-Bridges.”

Ethan Baskerville-Bridges (12) holds his Wolverine of the Year plaque. He was applauded for his compassion and humor.

Earlier that same morning, Priscilla Nguyen (12) was doing her homework when her mother told her to expect a package. Soon after, her brother told her that her senior sign fell down and she needed to go outside to pick it up. 

Nguyen was confused, but went outside nonetheless. She, too, was faced with Wally and Parker, and covering her mouth in surprise, smiled as Parker began reading to her.

“She brings energy to every aspect of her life, serving in numerous leadership roles, and is dedicated to creating an environment [filled with] kindness and respect,” Parker read. “She is absolutely deserving of the Wolverine of the Year award.”

The Wolverine of the Year award is an annual distinction presented to students based on their outstanding character, school involvement and grades. A teacher may nominate a student for the award, and after discussing it amongst other teachers, narrow the candidates down to six students. After careful deliberation, these are finalized into two winners.

Social science teacher Andrea Champoux nominated Baskerville-Bridges, commending his warm-heartedness and humor. 

“When he walks into a room he has a positive energy that is contagious,” she said. “He has natural leadership abilities and is absolutely hilarious.”

Through spreading positivity with his membership in Random Acts of Kindness Club, facilitating Unity Day, and inspiring elementary school students as a Westview Ambassador, Baskerville-Bridges said each of those experiences had the biggest impacts on his high school experience. Specifically, he said that working as a Unity Day facilitator was the best decision he made at Westview.

“I learned how to connect with my peers on a greater level,” he said. “Through the lessons that Unity Day taught me, I was able to become someone that other people could trust and turn to for advice.”

Social science teacher DJ Sosnowski nominated Nguyen. 

“It’s her body of work that sets her apart,” he said. “Her upbeat attitude and confidence are unique and make her memorable.”

As President of National Honor Society, Co-President of PTSA, Westview Ambassador, Unity Day facilitator and member of Link Crew, Nguyen said she is grateful to the leaders and role models she was surrounded by who helped shape her into the person she is today. She especially felt surrounded by good role models in her work as an Ambassador.

Priscilla Nguyen (12) looks down at her Wolverine of the Year plaque. She was commended for her outstanding leadership.

“I’ve never clicked so quickly with such a diverse group of leaders,” she said. “Witnessing the genuine passion for making a positive impact in the community gave me strength and motivation to do the same.”

When she received her award, Nguyen said she was especially glad to finally see everyone again. With everyone stuck at home, she said, it was nice to see more people than just her family, and on top of that, being recognized as Wolverine of the Year. 

“To me, I just felt like I was being a normal Wolverine,” she said. “Being at Westview was the best four years of my life, and receiving an award for it was really fulfilling.”

As Nguyen and Baskerville-Bridges continue the journeys ahead of them, now having made it to the bittersweet end of high school, they’ve walked a path full of eye-opening experiences. Nguyen said going down the rough road of high school means taking the opportunities—taking the class, joining the club, playing the sport, or anything else—that pop up along the way.

“The only constant thing is change, but there will always be opportunities to expand your experiences and grow your passions so that the change that occurs is positive,” she said. “Open your eyes and embrace the possibilities because they are fleeting yet essential to finding yourself.”